There really wasn't much not to like in the Magic's 100-84 victory over New Jersey Wednesday night,…
Magic vs Nets: What Went Right
1. Orlando's big three were much better than New Jersey's big three- The trio of Dwight Howard, Rashard Lewis, and Hedo Turkoglu combined for 59 points, 22 rebounds, 11 assists, 5 steals, and 3 blocks for the Magic. The Nets big three of Jason Kidd, Richard Jefferson, and Vince Carter tallied just 42 points, 11 rebounds, and 14 assists.
2. Return of Jameer Nelson- Nelson was inserted into the Orlando lineup with approximately six minutes left in the first half and made an immediate impact. Nelson finished the game with 11 points, 8 assists, and 5 rebounds, and played solid defense giving Magic fans hope that their point guard situation can get better. With Nelson on the court, the Magic were +14 on the scoreboard.
3. Free throw shooting- Orlando hit on 22 of 28 free throws (78.6%). That number isn't fantastic, but it's better than their average.
4. Turnovers were at a minimum- The Magic protected the ball well, committing just 12 turnovers which led to just 11 New Jersey points. Dwight Howard committed just one turnover, and the point guard combo of Jameer Nelson and Keyon Dooling made just two miscues.
5. Good defense- Or maybe it was bad New Jersey offense. Either way, the Nets shot just 41.8% from the field (33/79), and most shots were contested. The 84 points allowed by Orlando was the least since November.Every cloud has it's silver lining. That phrase doesn't often apply to sports, and it really didn't when he look back on the effort by the Orlando Magic Monday evening. We did manage to find a few things that went right for the team.
Charlie Bernstein is the Editor-in-Chief of MagicIllustrated.com, and a regular syndicated contributor to FoxSports.com, Sirius Radio, MySpace Sports and Sportsillustrated.com. Charlie is also a columnist for the New Smyrna Observer. Feel free to contact him -HERE- with questions or comments.
For more, go to: MagicIllustrated.com
MagicIllustrated.com Recommended Stories
Week 13: Player Downgrades
Every week, Fantasy Football Expert Rusty Reeves predicts a heaping handful of players who will decline in the coming weeks. They should be downgraded at least one tier. Chicago Bears QB Jay Cutler …Read More
Scout College Football Top 30- Week Thirteen
The top 30 teams in college football after Week Thirteen...Read More
Outdoorsman's Gift Guide: Christmas 2014
Finding just the right present for that special someone can be a challenge, so we’ve compiled a wide variety of hunting, fishing and outdoor gifts that you—or Santa—can deliver this Christmas.Read More
Scout's ACC All-Century Team
There have been so many great basketball players in the Atlantic Coast Conference since 2000, but which have been the very best? We break down the Player of the Century, Best Coach, Best Freshman, and…Read More
The First Thanksgiving: 10 Myths and Facts
The story of the first Thanksgiving is filled with folklore and legend. But what’s the real story? Here are 10 commonly believed myths about the First Thanksgiving debunked.Read More